Yeah REST was my first inclination ... I mean you're in javascript already,
getting and putting json encoded messages on a network is obviously the
path of least resistance.

However. There are lots of things on the C API that aren't exposed via REST
... for instance, form/object definition stuff ... tunnelling direct sql to
the DB ... lots of things really. Not to mention the tremendous utility of
just being able to cut every other damn thing out of the equation and
connect directly to the arserver and do what needs to be done!

Having to pound out C when you need that stuff is a pain (and time
prohibative). Having the full(ish) API exposed in a scripting environment
is HUGE, and pretty much the only reason I still use Perl. And I do ...
literally every single day on the job. That toolkit is simply indispensable.

In fact, I can say without a doubt, that being able to pull that rabbit out
of my hat when needed, has pretty much made a career for me at this point.

However, Perl is old, and it is dying.

We need a new platform for this functionality (and if it's going to be a
community effort like ARSPerl, we need to attract younger developers to
keep it alive).

I strongly believe node.js is to 2016 as perl was to 1996. This is where
the action is, and it is where we need the ARS API to be.

Granted, the REST stuff is great. You shouldn't NEED the full on API to do
row operations, and this fills that gap nicely. You can do a whole lot with
it, no doubt.

However, sometimes you DO need the whole shebang, and having it at your
fingertips ... in the same environment where you have literally everything
else at your fingertips as well ...  from PDF renderers to full on GUI
frameworks like Cordova and Electron ...

Yes. I could do this myself, given enough time and redbull. But then I've
got to worry about it breaking on new releases and yadda yadda.

Really, it seems to me that it would be a brilliant move for BMC themselves
to publish an NPM module essentially porting the C API directly into node.js

Am I way out in lala land, or do others here agree? If there's interest, I
guess I could make a communities idea and hope it gets up votes enough to
get traction.

-Andy