From: ARSList <arslist-boun...@arslist.org> on behalf of Jason Miller
<jason.mil...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 9, 2018 11:02:36 AM
To: ARSList
Subject: Re: Configure Incoming Email

I had the requirement back in 6.0 and 6.3. I did just like you mentioned with
Linux AR Server and a Windows utility server where I installed the Email Engine
so MAPI could be used. Of course that was when different components could be
selected in the installer.

This might not be ideal but you should be able to copy the email engine
directory from an existing Windows install, modify the config and run the batch
file to install as a service. The trick is getting somebody to send you the
Windows binaries (I would think BMC could do this, they have plenty of Windows
environments they could grab a copy from), you might be able to dig it out of
the installer files (I see an emailengine dir under Disk1 -> files) or you
could install AR Server into a throwaway Windows sandbox just to grab the EE
binaries.

With that said, I typically try to stay away from MAPI. In my experience MAPI
is least reliable out of MAPI, POP and IMAP. Is it possible to setup your own
email server for Remedy? At my last org we were faced with a similar situation
and I was determined to move away from MAPI so I installed hMailServer (it was
all Windows environment). We used IMAP against hMailServer and had Exchange
setup to forward a few older existing addresses as well as a sub domain to our
mail server. It added another potential point of failure however we had
considerably less issues with incoming email vs using MAPI and the server guys
were no longer complaining about all of the servers we had Outlook installed on.

Jason

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 7:57 AM, Kevin Shaffer