If you have a CLOB, performance of searches is going to suck if doing it
directly at the DB level, if it's even possible....adding FTS to the field
indexes the field with a lucene index (FTS flat file), and a query against
that field doesn't go to the DB, instead it does the flatfile index search,
which is significantly more efficient and quicker than a db search....

So...yes it's avoidable if you don't want to take advantage of the things
that fts gives you....but your options of improving the effort with the DB
when searching a CLOB are very limited...