Jason
Thank you (and Dan and Misi) for running this list for as long as you have.
The school district I work for started as a custom shop back with 4.5.  A
consultant built a help desk and inventory management system for them and  I
came in after leaving FMC/SHL/MCI/WorldCom/EDS (ah, the era of corporate buy
outs) following the latest merger.  I cut my chops during the MCI phase when
they were partnered with Remedy designing ITSM.  I have posted questions to the
list very infrequently but did a lot of lurking, squirreling away the posts I
knew would be helpful.  In 2017, I asked for us to upgrade to ITSM, the oob
solution, as there was no way for me as a lone admin/developer/support person
to replicate SmartIT and DWP.  The only “custom” work I do currently is
adjusting the remaining custom apps (textbook tracking and financial systems
change mgt) as we migrate from release to release.

To address Peter’s comment on product management, I’ll relay my experiences
after spending much of my time in the custom camp and only recently coming on
with ITSM.    I’m no longer a happy camper.  For the amount of money outlaid
(it was pricey for an educational institution, the bmc partner we used was
disappointing, not to mention the ongoing headaches), I think we may have been
better served putting out a request for quote.  And I’ve worked with the
product since 1995!

We went from 8.1 custom to 9.103 ITSM.  Innovation Studio was still in
development though it was heavily promoted during demos along with SmartIT/DWP.
 It was at this time BMC was renaming everything and combining modules/pricing
-  so what we saw ended up not being what we bought, a bit to our surprise.
Also because of the changes, the consultants did the install out of order not
understanding which modules were supposed to be included.  Even with all that
trouble and the oob glitches, I was impressed with ITSM/SmartIT/MyIT.  The
staff much preferred SmartIT over mid-tier.

When our superintendent wanted district wide request ticketing, I thought we
ought to leverage the SRM/DWP package we already had instead of replacing what
we just upgraded.  More licenses and an upgrade to 19.02 later, I’m now
hesitant to recommend Remedy again.  It all comes down to quality and
governance, specifically with testing and documentation.   We upgraded in late
June going to 19.02 as I  thought surely any big problems will have already
been resolved within 4 months.  Not so much.  The stability of previous
releases is no longer guaranteed it seems.   I’ve had cases open for things
that should have been caught before the release was made.  Seriously, not all
of the product catalog in ITSM will display in SmartIT?  And then support is
telling me, “just upgrade” to 19.08 to fix it, no hotfix will be offered?   My
impression is that support is thinly parsed out for existing products - fixes
aren’t happening for ITSM major releases because most of the resources are
Helix focused.  I had thought to upgrade to 19.08 over winter break.  I’ll
instead be applying patch 001 and the hotfixes for 19.02.  It’s killing my
productivity to be drilling down into bug issues instead of doing daily admin
activity.  And before anyone says “Get the Helix products,” that bond money
well is dry until 2023.

I wish Doug well on his retirement and am glad that if BMC takes a wrong turn,
he’ll have some distance.   Thank you to all the other listers too for their
contributions over the years!

Carina