-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tony Worthington
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 10:59 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Real-World Value of SMS & CMDB

>So what does SMS get you other than not having to pound a keyboard?

The fact that nobody will want pound the keyboard, and as soon as the data
is in, it's stale?  Add to that data entry errors.  As they say for a CMDB
... if you're not going to keep the data updated, it's not worth entering.
 Imagine the effort of maintaining 30k + desktops, plus 1000k+ servers and
associated relationships by hand.  I don't know many places that can
dedicate resources to manually maintain the level of detail provided with
the SMS, Discovery, etc. integrations.

We don't plan on using the SMS/Discovery integrations to identify missing or
stolen hardware.  That's what audits are for.  It's more about capturing the
CI's and their relationships to assist IT in doing their job and supporting
the users.

Just my thoughts,
Tony

--
Tony Worthington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kaiser Norm E CIV USAF 96 CS/SCCE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
06/27/2007 12:49 PM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

Subject
Real-World Value of SMS & CMDB

**
Hi everyone:

I wanted to discuss the practicality issues of using SMS to populate the
CMDB.  I understand all (or virtually all) of the theory, but now I want
to discuss the real-world practicality of it.

By my estimation, the only real-world value I see in using SMS to populate
the CMDB is that it saves someone from having to pound the keyboard to get
system information into it.  That?s it.

I?ve heard some folks talk about using SMS to identify deltas within the
hardware inventory.  That is, on Day 1, Dell Workstation 1 was discovered
by SMS.  On Day 9, Dell Workstation 1 is missing.  That?s a delta.  An
inventory manager can then be notified of that delta so that he can go
figure out if Dell Workstation 1 got up and ?walked away.?

But the way SMS is configured at most large sites, this would not work. In
some configurations, items do not get removed from the SMS database until
their machine account in the Active Directory is removed AND the machine
fails to respond to polls for X amount of time.  This does the enterprise
no good in preventing, say, theft, as a thief does not request that the
computer?s machine account be removed from the Active Directory before he
steals it! Theft prevention and loss prevention are two of the
justifications in the total cost of ownership calculation, according to
ITIL.

But SMS alone won?t get you there.  You need something like RFID to truly
identify instances of missing hardware.

So what does SMS get you other than not having to pound a keyboard?

Thoughts?
Norm
it___

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This is a transmission from Kohl's Department
Stores, Inc. and may contain information which is confidential and
proprietary. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copying or
distribution or use of the contents of this message is expressly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy it and
notify us immediately at 262-703-7000.  CAUTION: Internet and e-mail
communications are Kohl's property and Kohl's reserves the right to retrieve
and read any message created, sent and received.  Kohl's reserves the right
to monitor messages to or from authorized Kohl's Associates at any time
without any further consent.