The Beta has been out for a few weeks now. Service Desk also has a CMDB.

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Pierson, Shawn
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 1:34 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: BUW 2007 Track Sessions Announced

Actually, they don't have a site up as far as I can tell about their "Service
Desk" software, which isn't out yet.  It is part of the System Center suite
(which is the wrong approach to take I think, but that's another topic.)

I read an interesting article on
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1954020,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594
The part that caught my eye was this from the Microsoft guy:
"Many companies have substantial investments in service desks, but we know the
level of dissatisfaction with those is pretty high. For small companies with no
investment, our product will be straightforward to adopt and have it integrate
deeply. It will integrate with existing service desks out there over time."

The first thing is the most obvious part where they say they "know the level of
dissatisfaction", which is true to my observations, at least lately, due to
many factors.  It's not just BMC, but also other helpdesk and change control
apps seem to be universally reviled.  Whether this is a function of their role
as showing mistakes and errors on the part of I.T., or because the software is
bad can vary, but I've never worked at a place where anyone other than the
manager of the helpdesk loved the software.

The other thing that really caught my eye though was that they claim they will
integrate with existing service desks out there.  BMC is part of one of the
pushes that Microsoft is making to come up with a standard way of representing
services, so even though Microsoft will probably take some of BMC's business, I
do think that both companies will probably end up focusing on different aspects
of service management.

Personally, I plan to learn all I can about the new Microsoft apps.  If it
overtakes Remedy, then I'll be ahead of the game for migration.  If they
integrate, then I'll know where to start on that too.  If Microsoft fails
miserably and their service desk app becomes known as MS BOB 2.0, then there
will at least be some things to learn from them about what not to do with an
ITSM suite, and it would make BMC's solution look better and get users to
appreciate it more.

Shawn Pierson