Either way, there was no getting around it. It's a de facto standard that
a child process inherits the same level of permissions - and the profile -
of whatever the parent process is. Without that behavior on the platform,
we would really have issues.

Axton made an excellent catch and I am grateful for it. Knowing that there
are alternative functions out there which can be used is a very good
thing.

I didn't read the page close enough, so I am curious to know if these
functions are present on all platforms. Many of the open source
applications which I have had to tear apart and rewrite components of -
such as HtDig - make use of popen to process the results from the sort
utility that it uses.

Unfortunately, implementations very here and there and this is something
that I ran into when I ported the search engine over to windows.

--

Will Du Chene
[EMAIL PROTECTED]