I found a working setup for R2 x64 last year, where I installed tomcat
with mid-tier 7.1 and then set the service to run under a domain account
that was added to the local power users group.   I was already doing
this on my non-R2 development mid-tier server, so maybe I just lucked
out when I replicated the setup on the R2 production server. You would
need to add that account to the tomcat-users.xml file with a role of
manager, too. Permissions to run services appear to be tighter in R2,
although the tomcat instance installed in the Kinetic Apps directory -
5.5.20 - which all the Kinetic applications are using, has never had any
problem running under the LOCAL SYSTEM account's default permissions.

I  also had problems with mid-tier 7.1.x installing tomcat in \Program
Files\ instead of the correct location \Program Files (x86)\ but you
won't see that unless you are on x64 - it is not an R2-specific problem,
I don't think.  That still is not fixed in 7.1.00.002, which still
installs tomcat 5.5.17 but frequently refuses to run with it. BMC
Support had me manually install tomcat 5.5.26, which solved both the
incorrect path for installation and whatever was going wrong with the
patch 2 mid-tier.  I still run the service under the domain user account
with local power user permissions, and open the ports in the firewall
(8080 and 8443).  With 7.1.00.002 you have to be on java 1.5.0 - I
installed 1.5.0_14 - and give it a nice chunk of memory if you will be
using the persistent cache (an absolute necessity with ITSM 7).  I have
it set to 1536 initial and max and thread stack size 3000.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/

  _____