One issue many organizations face is taking ITIL for gospel.  ITIL is just a
framework/guide for organizations to use to define their own best practices.
When you tag positions like Owner or Manager to the process it leads people
to believe that these are physical positions when they are really functions
of the process.  Everyone is correct in saying that the Service Desk should
be the central point of contact for customers.  A function of the Service
Desk is to oversee the Incident Management Process.  However, an incident
may pass through several support groups and these support groups are also
responsible for following the process.  The service desk is there to create
a ticket (hopefully resolve too), forward to support groups when necessary,
be the POC for the customer if the customer needs to call in for additional
questions/status updates, and follow-up with the customer once the incident
is resolved.

Now with Remedy some of these functions may be automated within the system.
Once a ticket is resolved an email or survey may be sent out to the
customer, which would constitute the service desk contact to the customer.
Also, SLAs and OLAs may be put in place to ensure that the incident is
handled in a timely manner.  This allows the system to take over much of the
functionality of the process flow.

So as you implement the ITIL processes look at a lot of the things in ITIL
as functions that are performed during the process.  Every person/group
involved in the process needs to understand the functions and may be
responsible for doing the function at some point in the process.  This was
one of the things that ITIL v3 tried to address and one thing that the
writers will stress.  Remember ITIL is just a framework/guide to help
organizations build their own best practices.  Just because the sample flow
diagrams and functions are in the ITIL books does not mean that
organizations have to follow them to a T.  Use what works and makes sense
for your organization.  The more complicated you make a process the less
likely it will be followed.