I would add that not only do most organizations not hire someone as only
a "do as you are told" resource, if you adopt that mindset you can get
into a lot of trouble.  I've been on site at places where people did
exactly what management told them to do, which was flawed, then the
managers became upset with the consultant for not showing them the
better way.  Developers have to be skilled at interpreting user requests
and requirements into something useful.  The same applies for huge,
highly-configurable applications like ITSM.

If you are a full-time employee or consultant, you are a subject matter
expert on Remedy, ITSM, and to some degree ITIL.  Of course you are
going to have people above you dictating the direction, but if you don't
bring up concerns you have with implementing it you're going to have a
lot of problems.

I've also found that in many cases, the higher up the food chain a
person is, the less they care about the details.  You may have a CIO or
director telling you "we have to implement ITIL!" but they usually
aren't going to focus on specifics.  It's not a matter of following
orders as much as understanding the best way to interpret them.  My
current employer really expects me to be aware of what is going on with
ITIL and ways other companies are implementing it with ITSM.  Whenever I
go to my CIO or director and talk to them about the direction I'm going
with Remedy, it's not for them to dictate to me who the Owner or
Assignee of an Incident should be, it's my job to let them know what I
think the best practice is, and what would work best for our company.

Anyway, this is just my two cents on this topic.  Working in I.T.
requires more of us than it used to.  We can't be bearded hermits hiding
in dark server rooms doing mysterious things all day.  We have to be
professionals who know how to interact with others and work for the good
of our customers.  That is, after all, what ITIL is out to help us do.

Shawn Pierson