It would seem that in the instance(s) where ITIL recommendations differ from
corporate or IT wishes, there's something some aren't getting.

The corporate sponsors of the ITIL initiative were persuaded that it was a
good way to run their company.  In fact, they were persuaded that it was a
BETTER way to run their company than the one THEY put in place.  We've all
seen C-teams duped by software vendors before into thinking Product X is the
greatest thing since sliced bread, but this is different.  Purchasing
software is seen as a means to accomplish the company's goals, using the
leadership's methods, thus validating the leadership's decision making.

Moving to an ITIL functionality is almost the opposite - it INvalidates the
direction the leadership had been taking.  And yet, despite the fact that
C<ITFE>Os don't like being proven wrong, more and more companies are biting
the bullet and changing the way they conduct business.  The sales pitch is,
in essence, "You've been doing it wrong all these years.  Here's how to do
it right (and, BTW, we sell software and services to support this right
way)."

So to validate Scott's point, if you have reason to believe that there is a
better way to generically process business functionality than the one ITIL
has developed over a couple of decades, feel free to point out what that is,
and to defend it.  If you can't do that, the path of wisdom might be to open
one's mind a bit more and see how it can work the ITIL way.  It's like when
I was in boot camp.  There were things I was going through that I didn't
understand at the time, but I had enough brains to keep my mouth shut and my
brain open, figuring that at some point, I would understand, which I usually
did.  Most of the resistance to ITIL is that of people not being willing to
put down the old tools (thought processes, business practices, paradigms,
etc.) and give the new ones a chance.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.  There are plenty of companies one can
work for who will never do things the ITIL way, and we're all free to choose
which we prefer to work for.  I choose the future over the past, and I can
make money on either side.

Rick