Me neither, so I made it up as I went along.

We are using Estimated Resolution Date as a Start Date and Required
Resolution Date as an End Date for scheduled outages, further defining
those as Service Type = Infrastructure Event (to be displayed in Kinetic
Calendar as scheduled outages). They are entered manually or by a
Kinetic Request service item. We see some of our groups using Required
Resolution on User Service Requests as a target date to complete the
service request, and as such they are not the same as the Goals set by
service targets in SLM, which are very generic across our primary
customer group and vary with priority and service type (documented on
our web site). We will probably add the Required Resolution Date to some
of our other Kinetic Service Items as they evolve, pushing it directly
into the Incidents to identify issues that have a time constraint.

In our current setup, the fact that SLM sets Estimated Resolution Date
from the first Service Target (some of the time, not always), which
happens to be Incident Response, not Incident Resolution, is actually an
error, but typical of the quality of the SLM to Incident Management
"integration."

Have you been able to see a pattern in when SLM (or something) sets
Estimated Resolution Date from the first Service Target goal date,
versus when it is left blank??  I have not.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/