I just installed ITSM 7.03 on our test server and I am having a problem
with the DSL. I tried to followed the step in the configuration guide to
import the data. It says to select only one option at a time in the
order presented and click Import Data. When I select the first option,
Version, and click import nothing happens or else it processes very
quickly. I then tried Manufacturer and it runs briefly. When I try to
import File Data my user tool seems to hang. I then checked out the
knowledgebase on BMC's support site and found an entry that confused me
more. Here is what it said:

Step 4 on page 388 in chapter 20 of the BMC Remedy IT Service Management
7.0 Configuration Guide says to
"Select an option for the type of data to import. Select only one option
at a time, in the following recommended order"
but selecting only one option at a time does not work.
However, this does work if all options were selected at once. Your user
tool may appear to "hang"/"lockup" for quite some time, but if you let
it go it should respond again after some time and the import should
complete then. There are reports of the user tool being "frozen" for a
few hours, but eventually everything was imported if they did not
disturb/terminate it.
Defect SW00252123 has been submitted for this to find out if this is a
documentation bug, or a product bug.

So are they saying that the documentation is wrong? Should I select all
the options at the same time? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Brian Sokol
Manager, Desktop Services
Scholastic Inc.