One of the problems I ran into with the 7.1 version is the mix of
7.0.1 and 7.1 jar's/native libs.  I have yet to compile a
comprehensive list of which jar files make use of native libraries;
but through trial and error from the output of the 500 errors when
hitting both web apps, you should be able to work your way through it.
 One other thing you may run into is sharing of native libs if you are
running both MT 7.0.1 and 7.1 since the latter uses the native libs
from the former.  I am not sure how closely the 7.0.1 lib's bundled
with the 7.1 MT resemble those distributed with the 7.0.1 MT but if
you are using a common classloader, whichever libs you use will need
to provide the classes expected by both versions of the mid-tier.

Axton Grams