Tim,

I think I might have misled you in my earlier reply.

You need a reconciliation job with an identification activity with an
entry in the table on the identification tab for computer systems with
auto-identify off and another for base element with auto-identify on.

When the activity runs, an attempt will be made to identify any CI that
has a recon id of '0'. The rule in the above table that most closely
matches the class of the CI will be used. Therefore all computer systems
(and sub classes of computer system) will use the computer system
identification rule and all other CIs will use the base element rule.

Weak children of identified computer systems will be identified.
Weak children of unidentified computer systems will remain unidentified.

Cheers

Peter (Romain is my surname!)