From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 8:15 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Active Link works on dev; not on prod

Gary,

Actually ...there is a difference between COLCOUNT and a "ROWCOUNT" function.

REF: BasicGuide-630.2006.05.09.pdf Pg 647
"
COLCOUNT (column) or (table)
"
<snip>
"
For a table or results list field, returns the total number of rows.

For a column field, returns the total number of non-NULL rows in a given column.
"

So if you call COLCOUNT and pass it a reference to a Table field then it does a
"row count". However, if you pass it a column of a table then it counts the
non-null rows in that column.

The reason that can be very helpful is if you are using the updatability of
columns. (For example.) The user may want/need to know that there are N rows
that need attention before they can continue with a given task.

So... as implemented, Remedy's COLCOUNT function is a super set of what
ROWCOUNT could do if it worked the way I think you would want it to work.

But I am not clear as to what the number would be if table chunking was
involved. I would guess that it would give you the current chunk size and not
the total number of records in all of the data chunks.

So if your feeling chunky in your table fields... do some testing if you want
the Total total instead of the chunk total. But I think $ LASTCOUNT $ should
always get the Total total just after the table was refreshed in an active link.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)