From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) on behalf of Ben Chernys
Sent: Thu 01/29/09 3:38 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: ITSM Issue with Sandbox Enablement - Cause Found - Work-around
possible

** ?
Hi Guys,

Just to report back.  Turns out I was staring it in the face for too long.
Very simple problem.  There are 4 Active Links that do NOT use the "by Id" Push
Fields and are instead hard coded for BMC.CORE:BMC_ComputerSystem.  No wonder
that the Sandbox Recon job had Defer NULLs on!  The Sandbox won't work for most
attributes in even OOTB classes.

The fix is to replicate these four ALs, once for each class and include all
fields except a few core fields much as these work now.  There is a better fix
because the workflow is convoluted at best and could be simplified.  the ALs
change a few fields with Set Fields including the dataset id,  do the Push
Fields the clean the dirty bit and do not save the record.  The Push in turn
fires more workflow (filters) resulting in a separate push with the filter
mentioned below.

The ALs in Q are:

ASI:SHR:GenericSave_003_CreateModify_EnabledSandBox_NothingInSandbox
ASI:SHR:GenericSave_003_CreateModify_EnabledSandBox_SomethingInSandbox
ASI:SHR:GenericSave_003_Dialog_EnabledSandBox_NothingInSandbox
ASI:SHR:GenericSave_003_Dialog_EnabledSandBox_SomethingInSandbox

I will automate the generation of the ALs so that when fields and classes
change, the ALs can be maintained.  Besides, it would be too much form to map
400+ fields for each of the classes in 4 different ALs the ALs with To make the
set of ALs

Note the SandBox Enabled enum values in AST:AppSettings (0: Yes, 1: No) and
those in the AST z1G SandBox Enabled (10: Yes, 20: No). That was fixed with
another AL.

Note too that Defer NULLs should NOT be on in the Sandbox Recon job.

So indeed, the Sandbox has been problematic, and, of course, there's also the Q
of why the Sandbox is there in the first place!

Enjoy the weekend.

Ben
www.softwaretoolhouse.com