You're right as usual, Chris.  But she said that they were already using
Categorizations for Assignment.  While testing paradigms is a practice we
should all undertake, changing the entire support model is an undertaking
that requires buy-in from all users and owners of the Support model.  It
doesn't sound like Jennifer's organization has those things in place.

Categorizations are not REQUIRED for ITSM 7 Assignments to function.
However, they may be required for the structure of your Support Organization
to function, and they may be required for current reporting purposes.  Just
because you set the Cats from templates doesn't mean that they aren't being
used, just that the values are automatically chosen.  The broken "2000 Op
Cats" situation (which is not at all abnormal, BTW) is precisely why I cut
through the Gordian knot with my idea for generic Op Cats.

The bottom line is that the tool and the ITIL protocols are there to support
the organization, not the other way around.  Can the Support model change?
Sure.  Whether it should is for each company to decide.

Rick