Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

ALL: Thanks for the suggestions.

- Yes, I manually flushed the cache before each test.
- As for the "view", I'm using the default Mid-Tier rendered views,
which should work exactly the same as on the client.  I'm not generating
any web-specific views.
- When I run the MT workflow logs, the relevant section looks like this:

ActiveLink: SIR:Btn-Find User
True actions:
 action 0
FieldList.Query([object Object], @, CTM:People, 4, 2)
  Set-fields 536870917 =
  Set-fields 536870959 =
  Set-fields 536870960 =
  Set-fields 536870961 =
  Set-fields 536870962 =
  Set-fields 536870963 =
  Set-fields 536870964 =
 action 1

This was from a test where I entered my own name for the search.  This
shows a "no records match" result, which sets the target fields to NULL.
If I modify the A/L search to return an error if there are no matches, I
get the error.  (Of course, the same code on the client works, and
returns all my user info.)

I have also checked permissions on CTM:People (the web connection is
done with the anonymous account), and all are set to Public.  I'm
thinking it has something to do with the fact that I'm using the WebUser
account on the web, rather than a specific user login.

Mike L.