Good morning,

We're working on getting client software into the CMDB, including tracking
licenses and contracts in Asset Management.  The problem is that we have run
into a situation that doesn't quite fit into what we are trying to do.

Here's the scenario.  Let's say we own 200 Visio 2007 licenses, and have that
on its own Contract with a license key or keys that we use for that.
Everything works fine, and we have our processes in place to maintain that data.

The issue starts when we bring MSDN into play.  According to the MSDN
agreement, each person that holds an MSDN contract has the right to install one
copy of Visio 2007, amongst many other applications.  Obviously, the people who
have MSDN licenses have admin rights to their PCs so they can install Visio at
will.  When we run our audits, the discovery software just knows that Visio
2007 is installed, not that it appears to be a part of MSDN.  So that one MSDN
licensed version of Visio 2007 causes us to appear to be out of compliance with
Microsoft.

My thought was to create separate contracts for MSDN, but it is impractical
because you would have to create one contract for each piece of software that
each MSDN user can potentially install.  So there is an overabundance of data.
Then, there is no way to force the user to tie the CI of Visio that is on their
machine to the "MSDN Visio 2007 for Shawn Pierson" contract, and if they don't
manually tie it, the system will probably just attach them to the primary
contract.

How do you all deal with tracking MSDN licenses?  Is there a simple way that I
just haven't seen yet?

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson
Remedy Developer | Southern Union

Private and confidential as detailed here:
http://www.sug.com/disclaimers/default.htm#Mail . If you cannot access the
link, please e-mail sender.