From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of L G Robinson
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 2:08 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Looking for Oracle 8.1.7 client for Solaris 8

Hi Fred,

It is all about timing... I am planning to move to 7.5 just as soon as
my provisioning group can get my new server in place. But we have some
Sybase licensing issues that have necessitated a migration away from
Sybase "ASAP". So I am trying to make Oracle work with my existing
5.1.2 server while I wait. If that proves to be too difficult, we'll
jump to 7.5 and Oracle.

Back in the 5.1.2 realm, a kind soul out there did make the Oracle
8.1.7 client available to me (Thanks M!). Does anyone have a feel for
whether or not this 8.1.7 client will work against an Oracle 10
server? The 5.1.2 compatibility matrix specifies Oracle server 8 or 9.
I don't think 10 existed at the time. Is Oracle backward-compatible
enough to support the 8 client?

I realize that this configuration is totally unsupported... just
hoping to save some time.

Thanks.
Larry