We have a 7.5 test server with remote db on SQL Server 2008 x64 on Windows
Server 2008 x64, and although we were doing an upgrade from 7.1 and had to host
the ARSystem db originally on a local SQL Server 2005 instance (7.1 will not
install happily against 2008) for the upgrade install, we did get it moved over
to the remote db successfully and have run several of the app installers
successfully since the move.  That is our ONLY 2008 server so far; everything
else is on Windows Server 2003, mostly x64.  All of our other SQL Servers are
2005 x64.

You may be having trouble with the 2008 firewall, which is more complex than a
Windows Server 2003 firewall to configure.  It took us a while to punch a hole
in it big enough for ARSystem to connect over port 1433.  We had to build three
Rules, one Outbound Rule for "SQL Server 1433 Out" Allowing Any connection, and
two Inbound Rules, one "SQL Server 1433 In" rule Allowing any local subnet
connection, and another "SQL Server 1433 In" rule Blocking Any Public
connections to 1433.  All of our servers have firewalls turned on.

Another very likely possibility is that you don't have the SQL Server
connectivity for TCP/IP set up correctly. Make sure that you don't have Dynamic
Ports turned on, or that Keep Alive has not been set to a low number (default
is 30000), either one of which could have caused the problem you saw in the
middle of the installation. Also, I have never seen the requirement you had to
specify a port for SQL Management Studio, so you still have some sort of issue
with the port on the 2008 box. Microsoft specifically says in the docs that
Dynamic Ports do not work well if the firewall is on.

Possibly related, I have seen (and have yet to solve) some DCOM issues where
the AR Server cannot make the initial connection to the db server after both
have rebooted until you first make the connection with SQL Management Studio on
the AR Server.  In one iteration I had to leave the SQL Management Studio
running with an open connection to the SQL Server in order to run a 7.5
installer, but that only happened once. This problem appeared fairly recently,
after several rounds of numerous Microsoft security updates.

Just a few ideas - we certainly don't have all of the answers on SQL Server
connectivity, even in our own environment.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/