I have been doing some research and it appears that there are modules for
apache that support session affinity between jsp engines.  In other words you
could have a front end apache server that stores all of the session info and
connects to more than one jsp engine.  If one of the engines goes down the
session stored in the apache server remains and just connects to the other jsp
engine helping to maintain the session for the user.  Any issues would
theoretically be invisible to the user and their session would remain.  In our
current environment users have to log in again if a mid-tier goes down for any
reason.

According to BMC on page 16 of the Mid-Tier configuration guide session
affinity between jsp engines is not supported so I haven't bothered to open a
ticket on it.  My thinking is that it is due to the complexity of ARS.  ARS
needs a session and mid-tier needs a session.  Although you may be able to keep
your mid-tier session you lose the ARS session when you switch from one
mid-tier to the next.

Just in case I'm wrong I thought I would ask the question anyway.   I was
wondering if anyone has tried any hacks for this and got it working?

Thanks,

Sean