From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Susan Palmer
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:44 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: ARS v7.0.1P2 upgrade to ARS v7.5 P4 Failure

**

Hi Everyone,

This was supposed to be pretty straightforward, we're only upgrading
(not overwriting) the ARS engine and email engine, nothing else.  We've
started on our test server.

We've had about 5 failed installs as of today.  It indicates that the
database is not the correct version.  We confirm when we start that
we're at dbversion '22' and when the install fails we see the following:

        > r...@svs035 (/apps/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1)$

        > $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus

        > arad...@st_remt1

        > SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.2.0 - Production on Tue Mar 2
13:00:24 2010

        > Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

        > Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 -
64bit

        > Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

        > SQL> select dbversion from control;

        > DBVERSION

        > ----------

        > 23

 We restore the database and we're back at dbversion 22.  The install
log indicates the following:

(Mar 02 2010 12:23:45.272 PM
-0600),SEVERE,com.bmc.install.product.arsuitekit.platforms.arsystemserve
rs.arserver.ARServerOracleManageUpgradeDatabaseTask,

  LOG EVENT {Description=[[SQLERROR] [DESCRIPTION] Failed to upgrade the
database schema],Detail=[[SQLERRORCODE]=0 [SQLMESSAGE]=Failed to run SQL
statement [ALTER TABLE FILTER_NOTIFY MODIFY ( BEHAVIOR NUMBER(15) )] Due
to [ORA-01440: column to be modified must be empty to decrease precision
or scale

][SQLSTATEMENT]=]}

(Mar 02 2010 12:23:45.273 PM
-0600),SEVERE,com.bmc.install.product.arsuitekit.platforms.arsystemserve
rs.arserver.ARServerOracleManageUpgradeDatabaseTask,

  THROWABLE EVENT {Description=[Failed to upgrade the database schema]},

  Throwable=[java.sql.SQLException: Failed to run SQL statement [ALTER
TABLE FILTER_NOTIFY MODIFY ( BEHAVIOR NUMBER(15) )] Due to [ORA-01440:
column to be modified must be empty to decrease precision or scale

]

com.bmc.install.utility.database.io.DatabaseModelJDBCWriter.writeStateme
nts(DatabaseModelJDBCWriter.java:245)

com.bmc.install.utility.database.io.DatabaseModelJDBCWriter.writeStateme
nts(DatabaseModelJDBCWriter.java:130)

com.bmc.install.product.arsuitekit.platforms.arsystemservers.arserver.AR
ServerManageUpgradeDatabaseBusinessTask.processDBVendorTablesXMLFile(ARS
erverManageUpgradeDatabaseBusinessTask.java:399)

com.bmc.install.product.arsuitekit.platforms.arsystemservers.arserver.AR
ServerManageUpgradeDatabaseBusinessTask.execute(ARServerManageUpgradeDat
abaseBusinessTask.java:98)

com.bmc.install.product.arsuitekit.platforms.arsystemservers.arserver.AR
ServerOracleManageUpgradeDatabaseTask.execute(ARServerOracleManageUpgrad
eDatabaseTask.java:85)

  com.bmc.install.task.InstallationTask.run(InstallationTask.java:79)

  java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)]

(Mar 02 2010 12:23:45.276 PM
-0600),CONFIG,com.bmc.install.task.InstallationPropertiesHelper,

  LOG EVENT {Description=[SET PROPERTY
FAILED_INSTALL_FEATURES],Detail=[featureARServer]}

(Mar 02 2010 12:23:45.282 PM -

We even tried an overwrite upgrade and cannot get past this error.  It's
like the install script already writes something to the database and
then chokes and doesn't rollback leaving you high and dry.

If you've seen something like this I'd love to hear how you resolved it.
We're working with support but obviously we don't have a solution yet.
We cannot move onto the dev and prod servers until we know we can do
clean upgrades.

Thanks for your help,

Susan Palmer
ShopperTrak
200 W Monroe 11th Floor
Chicago, IL  60606
312-529-5325
312-502-7687
spal...@shoppertrak.com

ARS v7.0.1P2
Oracle 10g
Sun Solaris

Are"_

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.