From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:10 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Taking out the garbage in ITSM 7.0

**

While migrating data at the table level from an ARS 7.1 - ITSM 7.0
system (cloned from current production) to an ARS 7.5 - ITSM 7.6 system
I have noticed a fair amount of malingering data in the NTE subsystem,
with transaction dates between 10/28/2008 and 2/25/2010 (when I took the
snapshot of the production database).

NTE:SYS-Individual NT Control - 106 records

NTE:SYS-NT Process Control   - 107 records

SYS:Action                              - 106 records

NTE:Notifier                             - 1,218 records (down from
12,666 at the time it was cloned on 2/25/2010; production has 22,937
today)

The records from the first three tables appear to be related.  All of
the records in SYS:Action that correspond to records in the two NTE:SYS
tables are flagged as Action either CHECKCMDBASSOC or INCREMENT_NUM_TIX.
Has anyone figured out how these records are _supposed_ to be purged,
and any reason(s) why they might not have been?  How about the most
appropriate way to delete them from the system?  I'm pretty sure they
are transactional chaff that I don't want to migrate to my 7.6
application.  I wondered if they were artifacts of the many aremail
service crashes we have been experiencing during the entire time (22
months) that we have had 7.1 in production, but the dates/times of the
residual records do not match up with the dates/times of the areamail
crash logs at all.  The vast majority of the failed transactions are
either "HPD-INC-CustomerReceiptConfirmation" or
"HPD-INC-CustomerResolutionNT" events, with a few
"HPD-INC-AssigneeAssignment" thrown in for variety.  I don't plan to
migrate any of the this data, especially since some of the tables were
deprecated in 7.6 (NTE:SYS-Individual NT Control and NTE:SYS-Group NT
Control were eliminated), but I would like to know why it was left
behind.

The records in NTE:Notifier may not be a problem at all. The dates on
the 1,218 records in NTE:Notifier are all between the db clone date
(2/25/2010) and 3/2/2010 (and there are 416 outgoing emails created
between the same dates sitting in AR System Email Messages - service is
disabled on clone - these are all SLM escalations) so maybe this is just
normal traffic that is getting purged at regular intervals.  Again, it
isn't something that I would need to migrate to the 7.6. server.  BTW,
there are 577,462 records in the NTE:Notifier Log; I'm not sure that
there is any value in migrating those, either.

Anyone else had to explore the NTE subsystem for remnants, and take out
the garbage?

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/