In the OOB solution, the CMDB asset is not listed in the Operational
Categorizations.  My company is thinking it is wrong for us to change  the
Operational Categorizations because Remedy has already given us the "best
practice" categorizations out of the box.

Management's argument is "we should follow the OOB model  and not include
the CMDB asset in the Operational Categorization  level."  Find the CMDB
asset in the Product Catalog.

For example (Operation Cat):
request   network   create
request   account  enable/lock
request   backup   modify
request   hardware install

Product
Tier 1:Software
Tier 2: Application
Tier 3: Third Party
Tier 4:  Hewlett Packard
Tier 5:  HP Openview.

My concern is reporting...

If I have to build queries, OOB there are 11000 Product catalogs that  say:
Tier 1:Software
Tier 2: Application
Tier 3: Third Party

With the OOB model, if I want to find how many HP Openview installs
happened in February, then I would have to run a query against 11000  records
for
Tier 1 (Software), 11000 records for Tier 2 (Application), etc...  until I
drill down to HP OpenView stored in Tier 5.

Plus, this would mean we would need to make these 8 fields (operation &
product) required to get this data.  Am I missing something?

In a message dated 3/18/2010 7:05:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,