You say CMDB and people have all sorts of visions of what it means and what
it should do.

I am told we have CMDB. When I ask where/what...I am told this cluster
definition is it, together with the utilities that allow us to query, so
that perl/shell scripts can use them to do "configuration" management...say
patching, software distribution etc.

I can't say this is not "configuration" management, as this is what most
people think of when you say "configuration". Keep track of and manage
devices, applications and other tangible infrastructure items and, further,
be able to use such info to manage (think patch etc) these items.

You try to explain about CI, and the bigger idea behind CMDB, but then i
get, fine...but if it's not built to do the above, and you need to jump
through the hoops to  come up with something that kind of works...it ain't
"CM"DB.

What's happening here is people who work at the infrastructure level asking
what's in it for me? How can CMDB help me, say, manage patch distribution
better? How can our scripts that rely on such mapping continue to work.

Nobody using similar info in CMDB to have tools (scripts or other management
tools, say network monitoring/management, software distribution, etc) drive
their behavior?