Ray,

I'm with you : CMDB is a multi-headed, fire breathing beast.

I am currently taking the Web Based Training class:  "Welcome to BMC
Atrium CMDB 7.5: Administering - Part 1". It is 8 hours long.

I have to say it is helping me learn the basics. If you take it: 1)
Don't even think of completing it in one day.  2) Plan to view modules
more than once (there are 8) &  3) If you don't like the pace, turn off
the sound, select the Transcripts tab & read rather than listen. A PDF
of the CMDB CDM 7.5.00 diagram is also provided.

I  ordered  every BMC manual with the words "CDMB" or "Atrium" in the
title. Remember, the first copy of every book is free. I use these in
conjunction with the digital versions.

Finally, I plan to just keep reading,  poking around Atrium & talking
with others until I get it. I may need to be reincarnated.

Rebecca