From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Murnane, Phil
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 2:56 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: ARS 7.1 and ITSM 7.0.03 Server Group Build

**
Jason:

No problem with borrowing the thread.

In ITSM 7.0.03, which is all I've read up on recently, you'd install all the
CMDB/ITSM components on server A, and then copy the newly added files/folders
from server A's filesystem to the same places on server B's filesystem.  Then
you manually update server B's ar.conf (or ar.cfg) adding the references to the
copied files (usually plugins) to match server A's config file.  At least this
is what I've gathered from the ITSM installation docs - anyone please correct
me if I'm wrong.

As for patches, I've frequently seen sections in patch docs that talk about
installing in a server group, so I'd suggest just handling patches per the
readme files.

BTW, it turns out this was a moot point for me, as the customer wants not a
server group, but two independent servers with a shared database.  That build
goes something like this:

1.       Install ARS, ARS add-ons, CMDB, & ITSM on server A against the
production database

2.       Install ARS, ARS add-ons, CMDB, & ITSM on server B against a scratch
database

3.       Edit server B's ar.conf to point to the production database, and
optionally delete the scratch database

4.       Manually make sure that admin functions, escalations, reconciliation
engine, etc only execute on one server (and hope that no one messes up in the
future)

Fun, eh?
--Phil