We think it's a bug in the workflow, that's trying to compare the full name
with the login name. Sure it would never match. We changed the RunIf
qualification in the second Set Fields action to:

('Support Group ID' = $Owner Group ID$) AND ('Full Name' = $Owner Login ID$)
AND ('Assignment Availability' = "Yes")
and instead of mapping 'Owner' to $Full Name$
do the following two mappings:
'Owner Login ID' to $Login ID$
'Owner' to $Full Name$

Everyting works fine for us now.