From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 14:56
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: DNS entry for Server Group

I never got the apps to install properly - ITSM 7.6.03 refused to install in a
server group environment, even with the admin server that I was installing on
taken out of the group.  As a result I never even got to try the SRM, RKM, and
SLM installations.  I just finished bring the same server up completely with
all apps in standalone mode - the cleanest install I've had lately except for
RKM, and am debating just adding servers to the same db (no server group).  I
_might_ try to build a server group on the complete stack, but with the
expectation that server groups are a black hole that you can pour time and
energy into without ever finding the bottom.  Needless to say, I am not
impressed.  It's no accident that there are dozens of KB articles on 7.x server
group problems, and they are not exhaustive of the issues (nor always in
agreement on the solutions).

BTW, one lesson learned (now that you have to install FTS to support RKM) is
that the ARS installer adds FTS to the ar.cfg incorrectly using the FQDN:
Server-Plugin-Alias: ARSYS.ARF.FTS ARSYS.ARF.FTS servername.domain.unt.edu:9998
You won't notice it until you try to index something (we've never had FTS
before, plus this is a brand new one in 7.6.03, so we would never have
noticed), OR until you try to install RKM 7.6.03.
It has to be changed to:
Server-Plugin-Alias: ARSYS.ARF.FTS ARSYS.ARF.FTS servername:9998
...preferably before the install.  During my RKM install, it generated 177,000
error entries in the arerror.log when I didn't change it, but left it as
installed by ARS 7.6.03 with the FQDN.

Most of the errors that I have encountered in the server group testing involved
plugin errors, and of course a lot of the plugins were converted from C to java
in 7.6.03 so I don't expect them to work as reliably as they once did, anyway.
The installers - ARS, Atrium, and the apps - like to switch between short
server name and FQDN in how they define the Server-Plugin-Aliases, and I think
that is a _major_ part of the problem, which becomes a fatal error in a server
group.  Until BMC sorts this out completely - and DOCUMENTS it, it may be more
trouble than it's worth.

The only people who have responded to me with information that are actually
using server groups successfully (after numerous support tickets and changes to
the ar.cfg/conf file) are on 7.5.00.006 or earlier, not 7.6.03.  I cannot
recommend 7.6.03 for server groups (yet;...ever??) without more testing than I
probably have time for.  It is more important to me to migrate to the 7.6.03
apps than to get server groups working, so I will not re-visit a 7.5/7.6.00
implementation, but will probably limit myself to having multiple servers on
the same db.  You may find 7.5 a safer route, since it sounds like a lot of
sites (on arslist) have successfully upgraded their AR servers to 7.5
underneath the 7.0.x (or custom) applications.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/