I tried a different approach the end of last week, and hit another brick wall
today, but in answer to your question yes, I did get the member server to take
over admin opns when I took the admin server down and left it down.  The Server
Group Check Interval was at the default (60 sec) and the Delinquent Threshold
at 2, and about three minutes after I downed the admin server the member server
changed its seven -Suspended flags from "T" to "F" and cleared the three
Disable flags in the Server Information - Configuration tab.  The email service
on the member server resumed and connected to that server.  The flashboards
server function _appears_ to have moved over (the Change Management Dashboard
is working), but the logs are full of connection errors and puking java so it's
hard to say; the errors seem to be against the AR Server that each instance was
NOT installed against, so maybe it's "normal."

What I can't test is the failover of the CMDB and Reconciliation services -
because they absolutely refuse to install on the member server.  In this test,
I completely installed a fresh stack of 7.6.03 software - ARS, Atrium, ITSM,
SRM, RKM, SLM - as a stand-alone server, and then installed a second AR Server
to share the same database.  ARS installs fine, and configured successfully (I
think) as a server group - I rebooted both servers until they settled down and
stopped changing their ar.cfg files.  Unfortunately, Atrium refuses to install
on the member server with the server group active, and it HAS to be active
since you don't want it writing over the existing CMDB.  The error is [BMC
Atrium CMDB - This feature cannot be installed on a remote AR server].  If you
go on and install AIS and AIE, AIE installs (and cannot be uninstalled since
the idiot uninstaller will COMPLETELY REMOVE the AIE system from the db even if
other instances remain installed), and the AIS service installs, but none of
the plugin entries are added to the ar.cfg so the AIS test generates plugin
errors.

You may recall that in the previous test I installed the two AR Servers,
configured the server group, successfully installed Atrium on the admin server
AND on the member server (in that run it detected the server group and
installed properly, I think), and then completely failed to install ITSM 7.6.03
properly on ANY server.  It's like the various 7.6.03 application installers
are completely lost in a server group environment, no matter which way you
throw the switches.  My conclusion so far is that even if you eventually manage
to hack and band-aid the installs until you finally forced the apps to install
in a server group (and so far I haven't even come close to achieving that),
they will be unfit to put into production because it will be impossible to
maintain them with patches or upgrades.  Maybe this stuff works better in the
*nix world, but I'll never know; it certainly isn't working in plain-Jane
Windows 2003 Server x64.  Maybe it's only supposed to work for the AR Server
underneath custom or non-BMC applications.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/