From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arsl...@arslist.org] On Behalf Of Pierson, Shawn
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 12:02 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: "Working as designed" type defects

**
Doug,

Thanks for the clarifications.  I guess there are multiple schools of thought
on this but your logic makes sense.  One issue, though, is with the RFE process
itself.  I've never worked on applications that were being sold outside of my
employer so I haven't had to deal with it before, but it seems like the RFE
process is a bit mysterious.  We can submit RFEs, but there doesn't seem to be
a good way to tell what is going on with them.  If I were to submit an RFE that
I was passionate about, but there was no way of knowing if BMC engineering were
evaluating it or actually going to enhance the feature in the next version, I
would be discouraged from submitting many more RFEs after that.  It does seem
like our RFEs often go into a black hole, which has an impact on those of us
that do both ARS development and support ITSM.  For example, if I submit an RFE
and get no feedback from BMC, I don't have sufficient information to decide
whether to go ahead and build the solution myself as a customization, or if I
should tell my customers it would be released in a patch in two months or if it
will be included in ITSM 8.0 to be released even further out.  I think if the
RFE process were a little less mysterious, we would be more inclined to submit
them.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson
Remedy Developer | Southern Union