Has anyone tried out Migrator 7.6.04??  I use migrator constantly to take
object count snapshots after installing or upgrading each component of the ITSM
Suite "stack", as well as to locate differences in forms and workflow, so I
tend to notice differences between versions.  The 7.6.03 version was
trouble-free and reliable for what I was using it for, especially compared to
earlier releases of various 7.5 versions.

Several days ago I upgraded the Migrator on my Vista box from 7.6.03 to 7.6.04,
and it simply refuses to log in (I normally log in as Demo without specifying a
preference server; I store the licenses in a file, not on a server).  I never
got it to log in at all - possibly because I never let it sit spinning into
oblivion long enough (like it is right now).  I completely uninstalled it and
installed a clean copy of 7.6.04, in hopes that it was just one of those
versions of a BMC product that cannot successfully upgrade the previous version
(there have been many), but saw the same endless login.  Eventually I found it
popped up an Error 90 "Cannot establish a network connection to the AR System
server <server.name> : RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out"  Yesterday I saw
that it was failing on one of the servers on the list in Accounts that was not
running, something the never stopped the 7.6.03 Migrator (and still doesn't - I
immediately got logged using Migrator 7.6.03 on a Windows 7 VM on my Mac).  I
tried disabling some of the servers on the account list (has 7 servers listed)
and finally got in, although that removes them from the list of servers you can
load so is not very useful.  It's like the 7.6.03 Migrator authenticates to the
first server that responds and is ready for use, but 7.6.04 tries to log in to
every server in the accounts list.  I guess that would be okay if it actually
worked.

Today the Migrator 7.6.04 gives the RPC bind failure for a 7.6.04 server that
IS running, and IS able to be logged in to from the same workstation with the
7.6.04 User Tool.  When I clear the error it wanders off again into never-never
land (it's still there).

Since Migrator 7.6.04 is a primary tool for the new Delta Data Migration Server
process that I want to test, this gives me an early indication that such an
enterprise is doomed to failure.  This release of the Migrator appears to be
dead on arrival.

I'll eventually open an Issue on it, but I am in no hurry since support does
not seem to be alive these days; none of the new 7.6.04 Issues I opened on
Friday (new install of ARS 7.6.04 failed to create the arsystem.tag file, and
complains about it in the arerror.log on every startup) or Saturday (AR Server
upgraded from 7.6.03 to 7.6.04 now crashes the EA thread 390695 7 minutes after
any server restart, after which AREA LDAP authentication does not work until
the AR Server service is manually restarted.) have been responded to at all.
They did respond to my report that NONE of the problems I had identified with
all of the online help file installations in 7.6.03 (Atrium, ITSM, SLM, SRM,
RKM) had been fixed in 7.6.04 - it is all still hopelessly broken at the
installer and/or functional level; but that Issue was from last November.

I'm just not feeling the love from 7.6.04 after several weeks of pounding on
it, and certainly not from support.  The Migrator finally finished logging in
after complaining once more about not being able to connect to another server -
the production ARS 7.1 server, which absolutely is up and running or I wouldn't
be sitting here writing emails.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager