We are also seeing evidence that frontline support is completely out if its
depth when attempting to resolve product issues.  We feel like we have a
fighting chance once we get to backline, but not until then.  We end up
solving far more problems on our own than support does.

Rick
On Feb 15, 2011 9:55 AM, "strauss" <stra...@unt.edu> wrote:
> Has anyone tried out Migrator 7.6.04?? I use migrator constantly to take
object count snapshots after installing or upgrading each component of the
ITSM Suite "stack", as well as to locate differences in forms and workflow,
so I tend to notice differences between versions. The 7.6.03 version was
trouble-free and reliable for what I was using it for, especially compared
to earlier releases of various 7.5 versions.

> Several days ago I upgraded the Migrator on my Vista box from 7.6.03 to
7.6.04, and it simply refuses to log in (I normally log in as Demo without
specifying a preference server; I store the licenses in a file, not on a
server). I never got it to log in at all - possibly because I never let it
sit spinning into oblivion long enough (like it is right now). I completely
uninstalled it and installed a clean copy of 7.6.04, in hopes that it was
just one of those versions of a BMC product that cannot successfully upgrade
the previous version (there have been many), but saw the same endless login.
Eventually I found it popped up an Error 90 "Cannot establish a network
connection to the AR System server <server.name> : RPC: Rpcbind failure -
RPC: Timed out" Yesterday I saw that it was failing on one of the servers on
the list in Accounts that was not running, something the never stopped the
7.6.03 Migrator (and still doesn't - I immediately got logged using Migrator
7.6.03 on a Windows 7 VM on my Mac). I tried disabling some of the servers
on the account list (has 7 servers listed) and finally got in, although that
removes them from the list of servers you can load so is not very useful.
It's like the 7.6.03 Migrator authenticates to the first server that
responds and is ready for use, but 7.6.04 tries to log in to every server in
the accounts list. I guess that would be okay if it actually worked.

> Today the Migrator 7.6.04 gives the RPC bind failure for a 7.6.04 server
that IS running, and IS able to be logged in to from the same workstation
with the 7.6.04 User Tool. When I clear the error it wanders off again into
never-never land (it's still there).

> Since Migrator 7.6.04 is a primary tool for the new Delta Data Migration
Server process that I want to test, this gives me an early indication that
such an enterprise is doomed to failure. This release of the Migrator
appears to be dead on arrival.

> I'll eventually open an Issue on it, but I am in no hurry since support
does not seem to be alive these days; none of the new 7.6.04 Issues I opened
on Friday (new install of ARS 7.6.04 failed to create the arsystem.tag file,
and complains about it in the arerror.log on every startup) or Saturday (AR
Server upgraded from 7.6.03 to 7.6.04 now crashes the EA thread 390695 7
minutes after any server restart, after which AREA LDAP authentication does
not work until the AR Server service is manually restarted.) have been
responded to at all. They did respond to my report that NONE of the problems
I had identified with all of the online help file installations in 7.6.03
(Atrium, ITSM, SLM, SRM, RKM) had been fixed in 7.6.04 - it is all still
hopelessly broken at the installer and/or functional level; but that Issue
was from last November.

> I'm just not feeling the love from 7.6.04 after several weeks of pounding
on it, and certainly not from support. The Migrator finally finished logging
in after complaining once more about not being able to connect to another
server - the production ARS 7.1 server, which absolutely is up and running
or I wouldn't be sitting here writing emails.