Jason is correct.

You do not need to have fields in the view to use them in workflow.

AND, you will get better performance and scale if you take any field that you
never need to have visible
out of the view.  This makes your definition smaller (you don't need the
display properties for something
you never display).  This makes your web page smaller and more efficient.  This
makes less data have to
flow over the wire.  In all ways, it is a win.

Now, as Jason also points out, due to some oddities of what you can interact
with, if you have an
attachment field that you want to interact with and it is never visible, you
may need to leave that on the
form as a hidden field because you do need some of the constructs related to
the field display around
to work with them (even though not visible).  There may also be an issue with
table fields if you are going
to load and walk (why else would you ever load it in the first place) a table
that is not visible.  This is not
that common, but it can occur.  You may have to have the table field as a
hidden field.

But, other than these cases (not that common), you can remove all fields that
never display from the view
and all workflow will work just fine and your application will be faster and
more efficient.

NOTE: even the table field case...  I would strongly suggest that if you have a
hidden table field that you are
getting data to do some kind of a table walk to do some calculation, that you
consider moving that to a
service call so that you make a service call to the server, have filters load
the table, walk it, and calculate,
and then return the answer.  This is less traffic on the wire (all the table
data) and does everything in one
round trip (vs. several) and scales better and allows you to remove the table
from the view for sure making
your UI lighter and faster.  Something to think about.

I hope this is helpful,

Doug Mueller