Hi Doug,

I found this very helpful and very well written indeed!  Thank you.

Cheers

Ben

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Mueller, Doug
Sent: May-06-11 18:54
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Hidden Fields Causing A Very Large Web Page

**

Jason is correct.

You do not need to have fields in the view to use them in workflow.

AND, you will get better performance and scale if you take any field that
you never need to have visible

out of the view.  This makes your definition smaller (you don't need the
display properties for something

you never display).  This makes your web page smaller and more efficient.
This makes less data have to

flow over the wire.  In all ways, it is a win.

Now, as Jason also points out, due to some oddities of what you can interact
with, if you have an

attachment field that you want to interact with and it is never visible, you
may need to leave that on the

form as a hidden field because you do need some of the constructs related to
the field display around

to work with them (even though not visible).  There may also be an issue
with table fields if you are going

to load and walk (why else would you ever load it in the first place) a
table that is not visible.  This is not

that common, but it can occur.  You may have to have the table field as a
hidden field.

But, other than these cases (not that common), you can remove all fields
that never display from the view

and all workflow will work just fine and your application will be faster and
more efficient.

NOTE: even the table field case...  I would strongly suggest that if you
have a hidden table field that you are

getting data to do some kind of a table walk to do some calculation, that
you consider moving that to a

service call so that you make a service call to the server, have filters
load the table, walk it, and calculate,

and then return the answer.  This is less traffic on the wire (all the table
data) and does everything in one

round trip (vs. several) and scales better and allows you to remove the
table from the view for sure making

your UI lighter and faster.  Something to think about.

I hope this is helpful,

Doug Mueller

  _____