From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] on
behalf of Rick Cook [remedyr...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 1:59 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Looooooooooong update times on ARSCHEMA

**

I see you have been afflicted with trusting the BMC sales...err...product
documentation on that feature.  If you have real experience that shows clearly
that this makes a positive difference, I would love to hear about it.  I have
significant experience with using this setting, and after our data showed it
actually diminishing performance, I had conversations with BMC engineering on
the subject to help me understand why that was.

According to the engineers, the nextId setting is only going to help if you
have a very high volume of records being inserted into the same form from
multiple sources simultaneously.  This is likely to happen only in large
installations having more than one automated ticket generation mechanism.  My
research and data validated their statement.

This setting does reduce contention for new Entry Ids, but its effect is only
seen under those circumstances.  Again, my research showed using any number
greater than zero (or one) outside of the parameters I outlined actually
DIMINISHED performance.

Rick

On Jun 8, 2011 12:35 PM, "Guillaume Rheault"