Aha, I think I finally understand now, thank you for the help. As you suggested, using the "Request ID mapping" by doing a prior set fields lookup does in fact work. However, you might have implied that it would execute filters that had "get entry" execution-- I still have to enable "service" for the filter (on FormA). In fact, I can just uncheck Get Entry if I wanted to, so Get Entry is really only relevant to the filter execution on FormB now (the one that calls the service action). Also, not wanting to give up-- I got the other method using input mappings to work as well which I will describe for posterity. My filter on FormA required a qualification such as "$department$ = "xxx"" in order to execute, and the set field fields via SQL action within also used a "$userid$" field in the SQL statement. So, in order for the service action to work I had to map both the $department$ and $userid$ fields in the input mapping table. Yes, that would mean I would have to do a lookup/set fields for both of these fields before hand, just like you suggest with the Request ID. So, clearly your suggestion is better in this case since it is simpler to grab one field versus many.

This does seem fairly simple now-- I was just thinking the input mapping table somehow was performing a lookup for me. The documentation seriously understates the difference in using Request ID mapping versus input mappings, or even a combination of the two. For instance I can provide both the Request ID Mapping but override certain fields by setting them in the input mapping table, if I wanted. Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks again!

Brien