Well...

Other than during the initial setup and if you want to edit graph
defenitions text file. You would not need to login (BMC also recommends that
you do not use command line).

But....Admins would need access to the Applicance.

1) To setup crons (for example:: backups using snapshot tool).
2) If you want to schedule a job in GUI, there is duration limit to 23
hours. Where as if we set up schedule thru command line with out
"--recurrence-duration", it will run till it completes.

So in nutshell, it helps sometimes to have access to Appliance. But not
absolutely required to maintain the tool.

Thanks,

Rajesh