From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Axton
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 5:59 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Request for Comments

**
This is more a high level discussion and is concept/design oriented.  Please
feel free to chime in with your thoughts.  I look forward to the collective
wisdom of this list.  I is my hope that a a constructive discussion can happen
around this subject and the powers that be can gain insight gleaned from the
discussion.

First, a little background.  I was in the Help Desk/ITSM space, left that arena
for a few years, and have since returned.  After working with the ITSM
application for a few short months I am realizing how tightly ingrained these
applications are with one another (incident, problem, asset, change, cmdb,
etc.).  The tightly coupled integrations make certain tasks exceedingly
difficult, for example:
- using an outside system for change management (or any other process, for that
matter)
- upgrading a single application in the stack (e.g., change management)
- integrating outside applications with the ITSM applications

Non-remedy or custom remedy applications are unable to easily or effectively
communicate with the ITSM applications in the same way that the ITSM
applications communicate with one another.  Even different versions of the
applications are unable to effectively communicate.

Consider that each application facilitates a well defined process.  Each
process has inputs, outputs, and actions.  The ITSM applications could have
(and leverage, internally) interfaces to communicate their inputs and inputs,
outputs, and actions.  Java Interfaces are an implementation of this design
pattern that are a prime example of the flexibilities that this can afford.

Interfaces form a contract between the class and the outside world...
-- http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/concepts/interface.html

Interfaces can be versioned (e.g., 'Create Incident' interface version 1
supports a field ,Priority; 'Create Incident' interface version 2 supports a
new field, Urgency, etc.).  By creating an interface (i.e., a contract) and
back-end instrumentation to implement the interface, applications could be
upgraded independent of one another; all the communicating components need to
know is the version of the interface and that dictates the capabilities of said
interface.  With this idea, I am borrowing from the approach that many of the
SOA stacks are implementing:

One the most popular approaches for dealing with changes is versioning.
Versioning assumes simultaneous existence of multiple (different)
implementations of the same thing, with every implementation distinguishable
and individually addressable. In the case of SOA, service versioning equates to
coexistence of multiple versions of the same service, which allows each
consumer to use the version that it is designed and tested for (see Figure 1).
In this case, a new version of a service is created based on the requirements
of one or more consumers, which can start using this new version immediately.
The other consumers of this service do not need to switch to using the latest
version immediately, but can continue to use the versions of the service they
were designed for and tested with. They can switch to the latest version of
service, based on their own development and testing schedule. Multiple
coexisting versions of the same service in the system allows for the
independent life cycles of services and their consumers and minimizes the
overall impact of the introduction of changes. Although the necessity of such
versioning mechanism may be obvious to anyone who has ever dealt with services,
this topic still has not penetrated the mainstream of SOA publications and
implementations.
-- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491124.aspx#jour11version_topic3

A few key concepts here:
- Interfaces and versioning
  - Well defined interfaces
  - Interface life-cycle (e.g., the last 3 major versions of the interfaces
will remain supported, after which, they are deprecated)
- Loosely coupled applications (to the extent that the applications could run
on different physical servers/databases) that leverage only the interfaces the
applications provide as a means of communication

Such a change to the current paradigm would open the doors to a lot of things
that are simply not feasible at this time, all of which start with better
interoperability.  This is something that is important in the cloud space.  A
proper implementation of the above ideas would lead an application that is
easily pluggable into a SOA backbone so that the services the applications
provide can be used by any other application that is able to reach out to the
SOA backbone.

I think that running each application within ITSM on separate servers would be
a good gauge of an effective implementation of this paradigm.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Regards,
Axton Grams
_attend WWRUG12 www.wwrug.com<http://www.wwrug.com> ARSlist: "Where the Answers