Agreed LJ.

Axton, the reason I was leaning toward some kind of form solution is that
calls to Web Services are (relatively) expensive in performance terms,
particularly when the mid-tier is on another system, which it usually is.
Not that whatever is designed shouldn't include a Web Service access option,
but do we really want every create, lookup, or modify operation between apps
within ITSM itself to have that overhead? I would think it would be
particularly expensive to access the cmdb info only via web services as that
data is constantly being hit. Plus, this type of approach would allow third
party ARS based apps to adopt the same model, using the same tools.

I was thinking more in terms of some kind of special form definition or
perhaps it is a new object of type interface. That way you could publish it
for use in something like a Service action model locally and as a web
service remotely, but use the same definition to build both, thereby keeping
it consistent while avoiding the performance hit of accessing the mid-tier.

The Interface type could then connect to multiple back end forms via
mappings (similar to joins/web service definitions) to address your complex
transaction types, contain the rules and exceptions, etc...all in one place,
so the interface is defined once (or maybe once per interface version) and
from that single definition, the local (Interface object and associated
access method) and remote (Web Service) interfaces are generated. You might
even allow filter workflow to run on it when it is accessed.

Granted this may be a bit more ambitious, but it would give fast performance
locally between apps on the same server/group and consistent local and
remote interfaces.

Cheers!