Options in terms of preference (according to my personal opinion):

1.       Analytics – allows non-technical users to build reports and extract
the data like you indicate below as well as do all your own formatting and
editing and build the report without having to understand the DB data model
(which is complex in Remedy).  You can also build objects to do all your
calculations at run time as you indicate.  Most user friendly tool.

2.       Crystal Reports – allows much of what you could do with Analytics but
creating a Crystal report is really more of a development exercise than an
ad-hoc reporting capability.  In the end you are left with a .rpt file that
anyone can run, but only a Crystal developer can change (outside of predefined
input parameters you can develop in the report).

3.       Remedy AR – this is really just a data extraction method unless you
are on the latest AR version with the new reporting capabilities.  Even then,
it’s intended for quick operational level reporting and data presentation.
It’s not meant to be an enterprise level analytics tool like Analytics.

Hope this helps.  Thanks.  Nate.

Nathan Aker
ITSM Solution Architect
McAfee, Inc.