While you'll brought out this idea, if at all BMC ever intends to change the way this works along the lines of your ideas, it would be even cooler if they changed it in such a way that you could control the specific phase you would like each action within a filter to run after you check that check box to override default phasing.. options like Default to let the action run on the default phase, Phase 1, Phase 2 etc for every action in that Filter so you could choose what action you would like the override..

That would probably add a lot more control than just saying - ok all actions run on phase 1 with the `! convention..

Joe

-----Original Message----- From: Grooms, Frederick W Sent: Monday, December 12, 2011 10:40 AM Newsgroups: public.remedy.arsystem.general
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Commit Changes vs PERFORM ACTION APPLY

I had put in a RFE back in 2010 to change the `! into a "Phase Override" radio button, but it was closed. I had suggested the radio button/dropdown so we could override the phase in all directions (I can see times where we would want a filter to run in Phase 4, such as if we have to push to on outside system after all processing is complete on a record)

Fred

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Rod Harris
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2011 7:14 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

** Yeah Misi,

I'm a bit surprised that the run process commands have grown so much faster than the actions. I guess it's quicker to develop features as Run Process commands rather than have dev studio hold our hand and check the syntax and context on entry. I know that it wouldn't be practical to expect every run process to be implemented as an action but for some of the very common ones it would make a lot of sense. A business time command would be nice. The syntax on those process commands is darn tricky even for experts.

The other thing that has surprised me is that the odd `! naming convention for overriding filter phasing has survived all these years. Surely it would be much nicer to have a simple check box field or something to indicate this. It would be easy enough to phase out the old method over time and just auto set the new check box if the name ended in `!

I'm not a fan of the mechanics of a piece of code featuring in the name. I think it should describe what it does rather than how it does it. If you change how it does it then you have to change its name also. In Remedy since the name of an active link or filter etc. is the key you have a problem with version control if you keep changing the names of things. If you leave the name the same despite changing how things are done then your naming convention becomes compromised.

There's a lot I love about Remedy and it does keep getting better but I'd like it if these couple of things were improved.

Rod Harris