John,

On your reply:
a) That is still a challenge with scripts scattered across different servers -
even with source control
b) You would not be able to customise the output into the format you need for a
specific purpose. The "show references" functionality is not as flexible or
extensible as a sql statement.
c) If you read my sentence on scripts for this point again, you'll see I
referred to flexibility - not if it can or can not be done. My point here was
that (even though scripts themeselves are much more flexible as you rightly
pointed out than filters or active links) the electronic generation of
documentation about scripts is a bit rigid and not as flexible or extensible as
a sql statement.
d) Ever migrated (or re-deployed a copy of) an application based on scripts
spanning across multiple servers (code and data all at once)? it's a lot
easier, quicker and more reliable to backup and restore a single database. If
BMC does consider your suggestion to rather compile scripts, I would suggest
that they are indeed stored in a DB to make migration much less of a pain. We
will lose the performance benefit if AR server checks out code live-on-the-go
from another system.
e) It is "a bit bizarre" to suggest that "There's no useful purpose for
permissioning code between different users" - it cuts out finger-pointing and
politics between developers and in certain environments like certain
governmental orgs, you have to use permissions to comply to job segregation and
security policies.
f) Although source control systems goes a long way to centralize access to
code, it does not guarantee unauthorised code changes with scripts scattered
across different filesystems.

I agree that an ITSM 7.6.4 implementation has become a bit heavy for a desktop
to handle (esp. on RAM), but all serious enterprise-class systems have sadly
gone that way over the years...but BMC can "remedy" this to an extent (please
excuse the pun) by optimising the code for the OOTB modules.

One idea that your suggestion have sparked in my mind is that it would possibly
be nice to have a tool that can look at Remedy code and generate a Java
app/code from that. This will allow ARS to be used as a rapid prototype
modelling tool for Java projects...?

If, coming from a Java programming background for instance, you still prefer
using scripts, that's ok, Remedy has the ability (albeit limited) for you to do
that in certain instances, like using the filter scripting library (See
https://communities.bmc.com/communities/docs/DOC-63) (as I've used in the past
myself), web-services or even run-process actions executing your local scripts,
but I would still argue that the way ARS handles it's own "code" has it's
benefits and it's place under the sun and that we need not change ARS in this
regard.

Best Regards,
Theo