From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of LJ LongWing
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:35 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Server 'Alive' check

Andrew,

What you provided below would be an example of 'Login' as I described
below, and yes, I agree that that's the 1st step in checking to see if
your server is online and alive, but I'm looking for additional exercise
recommendations.  I suggested Login, Search, Service.  Another poster
suggested some action that exercises the plugin server, which I think is
another good test.

On a separate note...I do have access to enterprise level monitoring
tools...but what I have found is that they are typically 'dumb'...from
the perspective that they check to see if a process is in memory...check
to see if a port is open, check to see if an html responds with 200 or
404, etc....but none of the OOTB monitoring I have encountered can
actually tell me if my Remedy server is FUNCTIONAL...thus this effort
that I'm undertaking.  I'm trying to make my monitoring smarter.