I grew in South Jersey. I can’t vouch for any of these tales, but I can
tell you there’s over a million acres of pines trees & sand called the
“Pine Barrens” in NJ.

The Pine Barrens are as beautiful, lonely & creepy as it gets. Miles &
miles of two lane roads with scrubby pine trees on either side. Every so
often there’s a sandy one lane trail off to one side or the other. Turn off
onto one of these roads. It just gets lonelier & creepier. You might find a
quarry but don’t get too close – you could be up to your knees in sand &
still sinking before you know it. You might see an old wreck of an
abandoned car with bullet holes in every square inch.

And then there are the remains of what looks like an animal carcass. Now
try to find your way back out to the main road.

The Pine Barrens is where the Jersey Devil is said to live. It was also an
episode of The Sopranos, the one where Paulie & Christopher take a Russian
mobster into the woods (the Pine Barrens), end up getting lost & have to
spend the night in an abandoned vehicle.

No wonder many of the places listed on the web page are in or around the
Pine Barrens.

--
Rebecca Boyd
Application Administrator