Some downsides to using email:
- there is not guaranteed transport of an email message (they could be lost)
- emails are easily  impersonated (anyone will be able to approve anything
and it can easily be done in a way that chasing a trail of
an impersonated message will be near impossible)

You might consider embedding a link in the email and use the URL to process
the approval/rejection.  One link for reject, another link for approve.
 This will force the user to authenticate before the transaction is
accepted.  This approach addresses the two shortcomings of using email
messages, as listed above.

The web page can be set up to be very simple, such that it simply returns a
confirmation message that their approval or rejection was accepted.

Axton Grams