Okay, a couple of things..I have been in the middle of this in Linux and
experienced every problem imaginable.  Fortunately we now have a good path to
work from.

First, if you are upgrading in a server group only the primary server should be
running when ARS is upgraded.  All others should have the services COMPLETELY
STOPPED before you run the installer.

Second, you need to be setting two environment variables (usually by editing
the .profile for the user).  These lines need to go in the .profile:

BMC_AR_LOADAPP_SKIP=TRUE
BMC_LOADAPP_SKIP=TRUE
export BMC_AR_LOADAPP_SKIP
export BMC_LOADAPP_SKIP

This forces the ARS installer - and ALL of the of the application installers
(with the partial exception of CMDB) to only put the binaries on the other
server group servers.

This is awesome because your install time for something like ITSM goes from 10
hours down to 15 minutes.

Enjoy ...

William Rentfrow
wrentf...@stratacominc.com