From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Steve Kallestad
Sent: Tuesday, 14 May 2013 5:04 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: [URGENT] - Need to clean up all INC/CR/PBI/SR records and
set the counter from xxxxxxx01

**

This is a very bad idea.

If you reset the counters and you have even one record remaining, you
will be unable to create records because of a unique index violation.
It's not just a matter of clearing out data in the incidents/change/etc.
table, but all referential information as well.  It's very easy to end
up with orphaned data, and it's very easy to be over-aggressive and
delete more information than you need to.

The fact that you are coming to the list with this question labeled
urgent means that the only recommended path would be to run a database
backup and then leverage the built in functionality for querying and
subsequently deleting records.  Do not attempt to reset the ID counters.

It's much better to go live with counters starting at 23419 than to go
live with counters starting at 0 and carrying a risk that would require
dependency on a mailing list to resolve.

--Steve

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:08 PM, syed Ziyan <syedziya...@gmail.com>